Tuesday, April 14, 2015

words we swallowed

it was warm and june;
the type of day when 'I love you's' and 'I hate you's' meant the same thing and dandelions were more that just weeds.
we came at dusk and didn't leave till dawn;
our moms were mad and our words weren't much
but our eyes said everything,
except for what we both needed to hear.

our tongues weren't brave enough,
our hearts weren't brave enough,
not even our eyes were brave enough
and perhaps that's why my wounds still sting and your middle seat is filled.

people call us complexity
we want to be called clarity 
but we both know clarity doesn't start with a plus-one and blue eyes;
it starts with you-plus-me
and dark green pine trees
just like the ones in june.

if only we had choked instead of swallowed that warm day somewhere in between dusk and dawn.

'I love you' would've come out sooner.





5 comments:

  1. this was awesome especially the tree line and the you-plus-me line. such a good part.

    ReplyDelete
  2. also why did i post on this account no one knows bye bye cornelia i guess

    ReplyDelete
  3. if we choked instead of swallowed?!? brilliant JJ i liked that part a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "and perhaps that's why my wounds still sting and your middle seat is filled."

    I. Love. This.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this. I'm currently doing your blog analysis right now, and I think this may be my favorite.

    ReplyDelete