Monday, April 27, 2015

irises

sorry for love yet again.
it's just what hurts.


I always thought you had brown eyes.
they were soft and deep,
kind of like your soul and a little bit how you spoke.
they defined you and me
and the proximity 
of our fingers intertwined.
I missed them often
but they were always familiar;
always immutable
always brown.
but last night you looked right into me
and when I looked back,
I saw hazel
something I'd never seen in you.
I had known you for three and a half years and never saw that obvious green tint that blended between the brown I had always loved.
maybe brown was always for me,
but last night when I saw green I knew it was only for her.

your eyes became strangers and in five slow seconds,
my heart broke its last piece;
the last shard still standing became shattered, and it felt like my arteries couldn't keep pumping the last ounce of blood back out into my veins.

I cried

but the rain covered up my tears;
the sky knew I didn't want you to see.

you left me with bare palms and a weakening pulse
wet hair, wet clothes
and my wet eyes,
they longed for brown when I got my last glimpse;
but all I saw was hazel.

that green tint that blended between the edges of brown.
a hard, shallow,

non-immutable,

unfamiliar


hazel.






2 comments:

  1. This is breathtaking. Really, really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I GET this post. Amazing. RT AndraLee
    "but last night when I saw green I knew it was only for her."

    ReplyDelete