Sunday, February 8, 2015

hipsters & high school

i realized a few minutes ago that my blog is me.
it's who i am 
it's what i breathe
it's what my heart beats to
and that is definitely far from the definition of 'hipster'
because apparently that's the thing nowadays
to write like a hipster.
and I'm not even sure what that is and i think that's why i always have writers block, because i try to write like someone i clearly am not.
so I'm going to write from my heart to see if that changes anything.
alrighty, here it goes.

the story of my high school life begins with letter grades and brown eyes that I couldn't seem to figure out.
they ranged from C's to A's and
he ranged from love to hate
my heart skipped beats and my eyes 
turned weak from the derivatives 
clawing at my pupils.
the day we spoke about us and the day I choked on variables was the day
I wrote on napkins at in n' out instead of notebook paper about how much i wanted you to love me again 
like i still loved you
and how much i craved the touch of your fingers intertwined with mine
and summer nights in the bed 
of your '96 pick up
listening to 'the cars' and spilling
logistics about life and how much
we both despised calculus;
how nothing mattered but the wind and the stars that spelled 'stellar' in the sky.

and how we know this love will never exist again.

the heartbreak, the dropping grades, the empty sound of number two pencils scratching on lined paper; that's how the story of my high school life ends.
with D's and some hopeful B's
a few words shared 
but nothing too personal
and a diploma with a cap and gown.
and an ending with brown eyes;
still unfigured.





6 comments:

  1. There's so much good about this post. Once you started talking about love...yes.

    And I agree with you about the hipster thing. It's a weird paradox. We read other people to get inspired (and I think this is super important), but then how we do not write like them? The goal is to write like us, right? Right.

    But who are we? That's the question. We're all still trying to figure out who we are. I'm 35 and I'm still figuring things out. We write to figure it out. We try on different shoes and see how they fit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was so good, JJ. And I totally get what you meant at the beginning.

    JUST DO YOU because you are brilliant

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can tell you for a fact that you're not alone on the 'hipster stigma thing' but this was awesome and I hope I can keep getting to know you through your writing.

    You're a star.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you ever performed this you should put a pause right here:
    "and summer nights in the bed (pause)
    of your '96 pick up"
    Cuz that would be funny. Probably only to me though. Because I'm inappropriate. Sorry.
    Anyways I really enjoyed this. I usually don't enjoy the girl love stuff as much as other things, but I did this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHHHHAHAH THIS MADE ME LOL

      this post was your best jj. tbh. and you should read this at open mic.

      Delete
  5. This honestly made my heart drop; I felt so much. I want to read it over and over and over.... I love it.. Kinda a lot

    ReplyDelete