Tuesday, March 24, 2015

An Ode to Julie-O





Julie-O
the piece my mind raced to when I first heard Lisa Jackson play it in the 9th grade. 
it was swift
it was crisp
it swung in ways my fingers wanted to
it was the first time I fell in love with sixteenth notes and pizzicato;
it was the first time the cello and my heart became one.

I had played for 3 years prior but hadn't at the same time.
I played for mom and dad
sometimes grandma and grandpa, 
but never for me
I was just a jock and a kid on student council
being a musician came last and tuning to an A seemed pointless.

but Julie-O, you made me.

you turned a mindset of popularity into a piece of art covered in F sharps and grace notes
you created a love for crescendos and concertos and a soul craving rosin on her bow and strings beneath her fingers;
you made beauty in her eyes out of rosewood and fiberglass pegs;

you let ME discover myself.

so this is an ode to you, Julie-O
thank you for letting me hear you
and learn you and your crazy cello-slapping wonders,
and hopefully someday I will perform you,
because true love deserves to be shared,
and this type of love is a masterpiece.
I love you, Julie-O.

(sorry, I am unable to beat box to this song. so don't get your hopes up)
http://youtu.be/_FRnYr3FaXI
(this one is the cover I semi-copied)

(also here's something I did, not Julie-O)

also thanks Lisa for being a great friend/cellist. you inspire me.

4 comments:

  1. I've always been jealous of musically talented people. This was good JJ.

    I like how you said you started to play for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have such a love for cello music. This was wonderful and the music was just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so beautiful Jj. I am so glad you are my cello buddy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Idea: play Julie O for the class by the end of the year.

    Yeah, do it. True love deserves to be shared.

    Thanks for being more than one thing.

    ReplyDelete